[Event Announcement] "The Beauty of Community in the Park City" 2022 Global Design Award for Chengdu Public Aesthetic Space in Community
In order to thoroughly study and implement the spirit of the 20th CPC National Congress and implement the remarks of General Secretary Xi Jinping on applying more artistic elements to urban and rural planning and construction and enhancing the urban and rural aesthetic charm and cultural taste, this Event is hereby launched according to the work requirements of the CPC Chengdu Municipal Committee and the Chengdu Municipal Government for enhancing the appreciation of fine culture, promoting civilized practices and building a model civilized city. It aims to strengthen community development and governance project construction, build the brand of Chengdu Public Aesthetic Space in Community, attract domestic and foreign high-level professional teams and fresh graduates to participate in the design and construction of the Public Aesthetic Space in Community, create a good atmosphere for everyone to participate and share, and contribute to the building of a park city demonstration zone which practices the new development philosophy.
II. Organization Structure
i. Organizers: Urban and Rural Community Development and Governance Committee of the CPC Chengdu Municipal Committee, Publicity Department of the CPC Chengdu Municipal Committee, Office of Foreign Affairs Commission of the CPC Chengdu Municipal Committee, Chengdu Municipal Bureau of Planning and Natural Resources, and Chengdu Municipal Housing and Urban-Rural Development Bureau
ii. Undertakers: Party and Mass Affairs Department of the Party Working Committee of Sichuan Tianfu New Area and Chengdu Design Consulting Group Co., Ltd.
iii. Joint-organizers: Sichuan Fine Arts Institute, Sichuan Artists Association, Chengdu Photographers Association, and departments of social administration, publicity and foreign affairs of various districts (cities) and counties，departments in charge of planning and natural resources， housing and urban-rural development of various districts (county-level cities) and counties.
Design agency/team in the fields of architecture, planning, landscape, art or horticulture, community builders, community planners， university students, fresh graduates and social organizations etc. (Hereinafter referred collectively to as "design institutes").
IV. Project Overview
The event aims at collecting conceptual design schemes for 20 community spaces in Chengdu, which are characterized by a strong desire for renovation by the people, planned construction, guaranteed funds yet not started implementation. The list of projects in different areas is as follows (see the design briefs for the project contents):
Table. 1. Project Overview
The competition is conducted in three stages by means of public solicitation: the first stage is the Pre-qualification Stage; the second stage is the Scheme Design and Design Document Evaluation Stage; and the third stage is the Scheme Reporting and Final Evaluation Stage.
In order to ensure the quality of design deliverables, one design team may select up to 3 projects for registration.
(I) First Stage--Pre-qualification
After the public solicitation and registration of 20 projects, the Undertakers will evaluate the relevant materials submitted by the design institutes, publish such materials, and notify the shortlisted design institutes.
(II) Second Stage-Scheme Design and Design Document Evaluation
The design institute shall fully understand the project design brief, go to the site for survey (with the cooperation of the Undertaker), and provide a conceptual design scheme that meets the requirements. Each design institute can only submit one proposal for each project.
The Organizer and the Undertaker shall set up an initial evaluation committee, who shall review the conceptual design schemes submitted by the design institutes, and select three high-quality design institutes (without order) from the registration team of each project to enter the final review stage of the scheme.
(III) Third Stage--Scheme Reporting and Final Evaluation Stage
The design institute that enters the Third Stage shall further refine the design on the basis of the conceptual design scheme to form the final design plan. The Organizer and the Undertaker shall set up a final evaluation committee consisting of relevant experts, department heads and project owners, who will review the design schemes submitted by the design institutes that have entered the final review and determine the ranking of the design schemes of each project. One first, second and third prize will be awarded for each project. The final review of the scheme reporting will be made public through live broadcast.
VI. Design Principles
The design proposals must refer to the Evaluation Standards for Chengdu Public Aesthetic Space in Community. The national standards shall be met, while the following requirements shall also be satisfied:
1. Laying emphasis on culture exploration. To fully explore cultural features of the community, respect and highlight the local cultural and historical background.
2. Highlighting originality and comprehensive functions of the space. To integrate the spatial planning logic, the artistic expression, aesthetic presentation, construction feasibility, consumption experience, social interaction and community value in the construction of Public Aesthetic Space in Community, creating some unique community features in the design.
3. Enhancing community stickiness. To embody the commonweal and openness of community space, provide services, products and activities that are in tune with the requirements of the residents under the jurisdiction area, build space scenes with both community life value and aesthetic value, and promote the joint contribution, co-governance, and shared benefits of the community.
4. Taking operation management into account. To take full account of the operation maintenance after the completion of the project, plan to integrate with functional businesses that are full of creativeness to maintain vitality, guide the residents to perform self-maintenance, and realize the sustainable development of the Public Aesthetic Space in Community.
Table 2. Evaluation Standards for Chengdu Public Aesthetic Space in Community
Note: the table is not an evaluation and scoring standard
VII. Awards and Personal Awards
The total incentive fund for this competition is 3.6 million yuan. The design schemes of the 20 competition projects will be reviewed. One first, second and third prize will be selected for each project, and the fund will be released in 2023.
As the design scope and workload of each project could vary greatly, to ensure the enthusiasm and balance of participating teams in the design of each project, those 20 projects will be divided into three categories according to the project scale (less than 1,000 ㎡, 1,000-5,000 ㎡, and more than 5,000 ㎡), and the winning design schemes of each project will be rewarded according to the three categories of standards. The three award standards are:
(1) For projects with an area of less than 1,000 ㎡, a financial incentive of 120,000 yuan will be given for each project (including 60,000 yuan to the winning design scheme of the first prize, 40,000 yuan to the second prize winner, and 20,000 yuan to the third prize winner);
(2) For projects with an area of 1000-5000 ㎡, a financial incentives of 200,000 yuan will be given for each project (including 100,000 yuan to the winning design scheme of the first prize, 60,000 yuan to the second prize winner, and 40,000 yuan to the third prize winner);
(3) For projects with an area of more than 5,000 ㎡, a financial incentives of 360,000 yuan will be given for each project (including 180,000 yuan to the winning design scheme of the first prize, 120,000 yuan to the second prize winner, and 60,000 yuan to the third prize winner).
"Design Award for Public Aesthetic Space in Community" will be awarded for the first prize of each project, and the title of "Creative Designer for Public Aesthetic Space in Community" will be conferred to the Chief Designer.
The financial rewards of this competition are paid in RMB. The design institute shall use an independent company account. Any taxes arising from the financial rewards obtained are borne by the design institute itself. If the design institute participates in the competition in the name of a design joint group, the Organizer of the competition shall sign a fund award payment contract with the leading design institute of the design joint group and pay the relevant funds according to the specified procedures. If foreign design institutes cannot use their own accounts to collect RMB, they can authorize legitimate independent legal persons in China to collect money on their behalf.
(i) Requirements of Registration
1. Domestic and international design agencies are appreciated to apply for participation. No qualification restriction is set in the registration. A Chinese design agency must have supporting documents of its legitimacy within the validity period, and must be an independent legal person or a branch under legal authorization. A foreign design agency must be a legally registered design unit in the place where it is located. If the legal representatives are two or more legal persons of one person, one parent company, one wholly-owned subsidiary or its holding company, they shall not register separately.
2. Outstanding individual designers, graduates are encouraged to register, and they shall register as a team.
3. Joint registration is allowed. A joint group shall not consist of more than two members. Each party of the group is not allowed to participate alone, or form another group with another design agency to participate in the competition.
4. For Design Institutes:
(1) Designers participating in the creative design competition shall be on-payroll persons of a design agency/team, and the chief designer must directly participate in the whole course of the event. A foreign design agency shall at least have one person proficient in Chinese in order to ensure that the team members have an accurate understanding of the background and relevant requirements in China.
(2) The chief designer responsible for the main design work of the project shall participate in the evaluation, and report of design proposals, among others. During the competition, if the chief designer is inconsistent with the team personnel submitted in the prequalification materials, the Organizer may cancel their qualification.
(ii) Registration Method
The creative design competition adopts online registration. Designer institutes shall send registration documents to the e-mail (email@example.com) from the date of the announcement to 17:00 on December 6th, 2022 (subject to Beijing time). If the registration materials are not submitted within the specified time, the registration is invalid.
(iii) Composition of Registration Documents
A design agency participating in the registration shall prepare the registration documents in the following order, and indicate the table of contents and the corresponding pages. If the supporting materials provided are copies, the official seal shall be affixed on the copies to confirm their authenticity (if any).
Registration documents shall be submitted as A4 PDFs. The content should better not exceed 80 pages. A cover and table of contents shall be prepared. Please refer to the registration document format in the annex.
1. Participation statement: participation statement and authorization, company name, contact information (this page shall be sealed and signed);
2. Joint group agreement (if any): the "Design Joint Group Agreement" signed by all joint group members and submitted in the name of the Design Consortium, specifying the leading unit (the official seal or signature of all members of the joint group shall be affixed); the work share of the leading unit shall not be less than 50%;
3. Registration form, plus a valid business license (or business registration certificate), enterprise qualification certificate (if any) and award-winning document (if any) (all parties of the joint group shall fill in the form and provide relevant copies with official seal; If the design team has no official seal and business license, it may not be provided);
4. List of similar project experience (if any).
5. List of designers.
(iv) Prequalification of Registration
1. 承办单位组建由5人及以上的报名资格预审委员会，对报名设计机构的业绩、拟投入项目的设计人员构成等资料进行评审，任意一个项目出现报名设计机构累计不足 3 家时，承办单位可根据报名情况与其他报名团队沟通协调，综合调配。
1. The Undertaker shall establish a registration prequalification committee composed of five or more persons to evaluate the performance of the design agencies, the composition of designers to be assigned for the project, and other materials. When a project has less than three design agencies, the Undertaker may communicate and coordinate with other registration teams and make comprehensive deployment according to the registration situation.
2. If any shortlisted design agency exits or finally gives up participation due to force majeure, it shall explain in writing to the organizers three days in advance.
Table 3. Schedule
Note: The organizer of the Design Award reserves the right to adjust the schedule
X. Requirements for Design Contents and Deliverables Submission in Conceptual Proposal Stage
The design deliverables shall meet the relevant regulations, standards and design specifications of the state, Sichuan Province and Chengdu City, and the submission shall include mandatory deliverables and optional deliverables.
(I) Contents of deliverables submitted in the preliminary review
Requirements for preliminary review of design deliverables:
1. The project vision should clearly express the design intent and highlights in ideas;
2. The coping strategies embodied in the design should meet the requirements of feasibility and innovation;
3. Functional composition is adopted in the design to consider the actual demand of services;
4. All the above design levels should be integrated, and the deliverables should fully reflect the concept of sustainability;
5. The restrictions on project construction cost shall be fully considered.
Requirements for deliverables submission for preliminary review:
1. Propose design concept and preliminary scheme design description;
2. Submit analysis drawing and effect drawing expressing design conception process;
3. Relevant technical drawings, etc;
4. No more than 15 pages (excluding the front and back cover) of A3 design text with drawings in horizontal format, single-side printed in color;
5. One A1 display board, which shall include all the technical deliverables to be submitted (consistent with the A3 text document);
6. Provide project estimation deliverables and ensure that the construction cost conditions are basically met;
7. The design deliverables shall meet the regulations, standards and design specifications of relevant national, Sichuan and Chengdu authorities;
8.The design concept text shall include PDFs of relevant proposal text, one original and one copy. The cover of the original shall indicate the name of the design agency, and the copy shall not disclose any information related to the design agency.
(II) Contents of deliverables submitted in final review
Requirements for final design deliverables: (architecture, landscape)
On the premise of compliance with the requirements for design deliverables of preliminary review, the final review design deliverables shall include (but not limited to) the following:
1. Description on general scheme, design concept and scheme design of creative design;
2. Relevant technical drawings, including but not limited to: general layout, plan, main elevation and section; plans of outdoor environment space landscape nodes; vertical design drawing; planting design drawings; night lighting design drawings；
3. Analysis drawings expressing design ideas, including but not limited to: site analysis, community crowd activity analysis, function layout analysis, traffic moving line analysis, cultural characteristics analysis, landscape vision analysis, building fire protection analysis, sunlight analysis;
4. Aerial view and renderings of key nodes;
5. Detailed design drawings of part details, including but not limited to: landscape structures, sculptures, outdoor furniture, creative lighting, characteristic paving;
6. Relevant economic and technical indicators;
7. Other necessary design drawings.
Requirements for final design results: (indoor)
1. Overall design proposal, design concept and description of the design proposal;
2. Relevant technical drawings, including but not limited to: plan (including ground pavement, facilities, furnishings design); Top surface drawing (including top surface decoration, lighting design); Elevations (they should display space interface decoration, facilities and corresponding furnishings design);
3. Analysis drawings expressing design ideas, including but not limited to: analysis of crowds' activities in community, functional layout analysis, traffic flow analysis, cultural characteristics analysis, architecture fire control analysis;
4. Overall renderings and renderings of key nodes;
5. Relevant economic and technical indicators;
6. Other necessary design drawings;
Requirements for deliverables submission for final review:
1. Above contents shall be submitted in electronic text, and the paper version should be submitted when reporting to the final review;
2. The text can completely and clearly express the design intention, conception and drawing content in detail;
3. PPT of report based on design scheme (report duration shall not exceed 15 minutes);
4. On the premise of meeting the above requirements, participants may also submit, together their design proposals, the image data, electronic or physical models, research reports and other deliverables to assist the expression of the scheme, with the method and type at your own discretion. The size of an image data file shall not exceed 500M.
XI. Validity of Deliverables
The documents delivered before the specified deadline and meeting the requirements of the project design briefs are valid design deliverables. The design deliverables aligning with any one of the following are deemed invalid:
1. The design deliverables are delivered overdue; The design deliverables are submitted in batches;
2. The content of the design deliverables is changed after submission;
3. More than half (including half) of the expert evaluation committee determines that the design deliverables are not original, have been published, or are similar to other design proposals, or the deliverables do not meet the requirements of the project design briefs.
XII. Copyrights and Laws
1. The right of authorship of all design deliverables of the Design Award is owned by the design agency. All design deliverables submitted will not be returned. The Organizer, Undertaker and Joint-Organizer have the right to use all such design deliverables free of charge, including publishing the review deliverables after the review, and introducing, displaying and evaluating the design deliverables through media, professional magazines, professional books and magazines or other forms.
2. Design institutes shall ensure that all contents of the design deliverables are originally developed by themselves and contain no data which may infringe upon the intellectual property rights of a third party. In case of infringement, the infringing design agency shall bear all legal consequences and be disqualified from participating in this Design Award.
3. All materials (text, drawings, electronic data, etc.) provided by the Organizers are protected by copyright. Without authorization, no unit or individual shall copy, adapt, distribute, publish, lend or transfer contents of the deliverables, otherwise they will be investigated for corresponding legal liabilities according to laws and disqualified from participating in this Design Award.
4. The rules of this Design Award are governed by the laws of the People's Republic of China. The work and all documents of this Design Award shall be governed by Chinese laws. In case of any dispute that can not be settled through negotiation, both parties agree to submit it to Chengdu Arbitration Commission for arbitration.
5. Before the end of this Design Award, none of the design firms or their designers is allowed to disclose, made public or display the design deliverables in any manner without the permission of the Organizer, Undertaker, Joint-Organizer; otherwise the corresponding party will be investigated for legal liability and disqualified from this Design Award.
XIII.Language and Miscellaneous
1. The organizers reserve the right to change the schedule. In case of any change, timely notice will be given to the relevant design agencies.
2. The chief designer and main design personnel participating in this Design Award must be engaged throughout the whole design process. In case of cooperation with overseas design agencies, personnel from such overseas design agencies shall be engaged, with signature and official seals attached wherever appropriate.
3. The design institutes participating in this Design Award is deemed to recognize the rules of this Design Award and the contents and requirements of corresponding documents in each stage.
4. The Organizer and the Undertaker reserve the final interpretation right to the rules of the Design Award, and the interpretation language shall be Chinese.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
联系人：高老师 联系电话：187 8011 2594
Contact: Ms. Gao Mobile: 187 8011 2594
联系人：易老师 联系电话：180 8087 2125
Contact: Ms. Yi Mobile: 180 8087 2125
联系人：钟老师 联系电话：136 1972 0957
Contact: Mr. Zhong Mobile:136 1972 0957
联系人：李老师 联系电话：155 2253 9370
Contact: Mr. Li Mobile:155 2253 9370
Project Design Brief and Registration Annex Download Link: